Sunday, May 16, 2010

let's go defense

During the recent hockey playoffs, I have come to realize something about women and men. And sports. Now, I know there are plenty of ladies out there who enjoy sports all on their own and would watch them day and night if they could. I am not one of these women.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sports (except for football. GROSS. But that's another story for another time). I love going to baseball games in the summer, and I had fun at my first hockey game this past year. But I have no urge to spend upwards of two hours of my life watching them on TV. Or learning every minute detail of the rules. Or memorizing the players names and numbers. And yet, more often than not, I find myself on the couch with my boyfriend feigning interest.

I learned what icing is and what a power play means. I know who to hate on the other team and why. I admit, I started to get into it. I see the allure of watching your team play well and win. I did all of this because my boyfriend likes hockey and we only have one decent TV.

When we went on vacation I supported him when he wanted to stay in to watch the playoffs. Or when we had to choose our dinner location based on whether or not the restaurant's bar had hockey on the TV. I'm sure poor Jamie didn't understand why I was catering to my "special needs" boyfriend.

To be honest, I don't know why I was either. Does he sit down and watch Gossip Girl with me and wax poetic about Blair and Chuck? No. Does he guffaw loudly with me while I watch Modern Family or the Office? Nope. Lost goes completely over his head, he doesn't know his Jack's from his Jacob's. The few shows we do watch together we either Netflix or DVR, and he always watches them without me.

With our hectic, opposite schedules, sometimes TV time is all we really get together. Is it so much to ask that he wait before watching an entire season of Arrested Development without me? Apparently so. But still, I put on my recently purchased Bruins shirt, snuggle up on the couch, and comment on the player's bad hygiene. Someone has to make the effort. Since hockey is over, things will only get worse.

History Channel anyone?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails