Tuesday, August 10, 2010

tue-torial: half-moon manicure

So I saw this picture of Jessica Biel in a magazine, and thought her manicure was so subtly cool. So I decided to try it out for myself. I'd show you a picture of my inspiration but I can't find it online and my scanner stopped working in college when someone spilled a particularly sticky adult beverage on it. But if you Google "half-moon manicure" you'll find people who's manicures came out far better than mine.

Step 1: Gather your supplies.

I used OPI RapiDry Top Coat, Revlon nail enamel in White on White, Orly Bonder Base Coat, Sally Hansen Salon Manicure in Naked Ambition and Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen in White.

Step 2: Paint the base coat on your nails. Let it dry.

Step 3: Draw over the little half-moons on your nails with the nail art pen. You can exaggerate them all you want, mine were barely visible, so I basically just drew them on. No easy task. Plus, I don't really like the nail art pen. It's a bit too sheer for me and dries kind of lumpy.

Doesn't look so bad from far away, eh?

Step 3: Do a second coat of white over your half-moons, if so desired. I ended up attempting to go back over them with the Revlon White on White, and I wish I'd used that in the first place. You can dunk an eyeliner brush in the nailpolish for a more precise drawing tool. Clean up any mess with the eyeliner brush dipped in nailpolish remover.

You should have this now:
Sassy!

Step 4: Wait for everything to dry. Don't smudge!

Step 5: Pick a sheer, slightly shimmery white or pink color to go over your half-moon. I picked the Sally Hansen Salon Manicure in Naked Ambition for this step. I wish I had used a white, but I kind of like this too. It's okay if it makes your half-moon kind of pink, it helps it blend and look more natural, I think.




I've been told I have nice nail beds. What a lucky girl, right? I guess it's a kinder compliment than "nice rack!"

Step 6: Top coat time! Yes, only one coat of the pink or white shimmer, then top coat. You don't want to completely cover your moons.

Finished product:
Why yes, I was reading Harry Potter. Book Four. I re-read them every summer, like a Nerd Queen. 

ANYWAY, I'm not totally in love with the way the manicure came out, but I do love the idea of it. Next time I'll try some different techniques, maybe even different colors. Hope you all enjoyed! If you try it, send me a picture so I can see how yours came out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails