Thursday, March 8, 2012

snowboarding!

Last Saturday I went snowboarding for the second time in my life. This was huge for me for a couple reasons:

1. I hate snow.
2. The first time I went snowboarding was the worst day of my life.

But for some wacky tobacky reason, I got it in my head that I wanted to try again. Maybe it's the mild winter we've had in New England this year that made me think snow wasn't the devil's invention and prancing around in it while strapped to a piece of plastic was a good idea. I really don't know.

I had high hopes that since I'm more physically in shape then I was four or five years ago (the last time I went) I'd somehow be better at it. So it became a challenge for myself - I WILL BE BETTER.  Boyfriend - bless him - didn't even hesitate when I asked him to take me again. If I was him I would have ran away screaming.

In my defense, the first time I went I was not instructed well. Boyfriend and I went with one of his other friends. His friend helped me get my rental board and boots and also helped me determine whether or not I should ride "regular" or "goofy".  He shoved me in the back and said "YOU'RE GOOFY".  Then they took me to the top of the mountain, and basically said "now go down". Needless to say, I cried the entire day, my legs were falling off of my body in pain, and we had a three hour car ride home after that. I couldn't walk for a week.

So when we went last weekend, I was both so excited and so scared. Boyfriend was much more attentive this time, as it was just the two of us. We went up the bunny hill on this fun little magic carpet thing (I mastered the magic carpet) and I managed to make it to the bottom without falling horribly! Of course, I kind of just snowplowed my way down, but it counts. Then we went down the easy trails where I zigged and zagged and plowed all the way down.

I still haven't learned to turn, is the issue. I also can't seem to commit to riding goofy or regular. That just feels like such a big, life-changing decision. I think I might actually be goofy, but I just wanna be regular, man. I've been watching these super dorky videos and trying to prep for our next trip. I'm even more determined to get the hang of this now.

IMG_2141

IMG_2142

Any snowboarders out there? Got any advice for me?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails