Tuesday, November 30, 2010

i will write five thousand words

Today I will write five thousand words. I will go to work. I will write when I can spare a moment at work. I will go home and I will write write write until my eyeballs bleed and I've typed "He smiled" and "She smiled back" more times than I care to admit. I will not read back over what I have written, since I can't take the embarassment at what crap I am sure it all is. But I will still write those five thousand words.

And when I am done, I will be a winner. More importantly, I will be a writer. I will have completed my first NaNoWriMo. In the three years I have been doing this, I've always quit around the halfway point. But this year, I made it this far. I made it to the point where I am only five thousand words away with only a day to spare. Is it good writing? No. Is the story interesting? No, probably not. But I still wrote it. And the potential is there. And maybe, when the blisters on my fingers from wildly typing for the past thirty days have healed, I will go back and look over what I have written. And edit it. And turn it into something great.

But for right now, I am just focusing on these five thousand words. It doesn't sound like a lot, but go ahead. You try to write five thousand words. I'll bet a bunch of them will be "He smiled" and "She smiled back."  This right here? This is only two hundred and fifty one words. It looks like a lot more, doesn't it?

Guess what? I just double-checked my stats and I only have 4,998 more words to go! That's a relief.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails