Friday, July 23, 2010

drugstore beauty queen

I have a mascara problem. Namely, I currently own and use about four different kinds. That's typically how many mascaras I have. I'm sure most people just have one and move on with their lives, but I feel like the mascara market is constantly coming out with something new and I need to try them all. I think I've been on a mission for years now to find one perfect mascara to stick with, but all the new types are just so tempting!

Typically I swear by Lancome. All of their mascaras are absolutely the best, but for $25 a pop,it's not always a realistic buy. Since I use the tubes up so quickly (I will never go anywhere without two coats of mascara. I look freakish without it. That month before my eye surgery was really, really hard), I prefer to find a great drugstore version.

Right now, the mascara I am obsessed with is Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara. It's a perfect, inky black. The formula isn't clumpy at all, it's very smooth. And I swear it actually has made my lashes longer. Maybe not 93% longer, or whatever the ads claim, but they definitely are a touch longer. My only qualm is I got the waterproof version for summer, and I do find it rather smudgy, which is strange for a waterproof mascara.


While I'm here, I guess I will tell you about the super awesome lip stain I bought yesterday too. I love the idea of a lip stain. Put it on in the morning, slap on some gloss, and you're good to go all day. You don't look like you have heavy-duty lipstick on, just a nice I-just-ate-a-popsicle color. The only problem is they are usually dry, and it my experience, taste funny. Not that I am eating them, but my tongue is pretty close to my lips and sometimes they touch. And I taste my lip product. ANYWAY, the drugstores have recently been hit with an influx of lip stains. Cover Girl was first, with their marker version. I tried it, and found it much too dry for my tastes. I still use it, but it's not my favorite. Recently, Revlon and Maybelline have each come out with one. I chose the Revlon one (Revlon is killing it lately!) because it had stain on one end and balm on the other. Genius.

I got it in Gothic, which is a bright cheery red. It seems like a lot at first, but you can really customize the intensity when you put it on. Plus it stays on forever, and dulls to a lovely shade. It was still on my lips this morning! The balm is great to put on top, or even underneath, so you don't look like a dehydrated castaway with dried out lips.

Really, those two things with some concealer and you could be done. Apparently I am obsessed with Revlon lately.

Stay tuned for a long, long overdue Things My Boyfriend Does later!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails