Tuesday, July 13, 2010

kooking with katrina

[Note: I know way endorse spelling things the way I did above. But once you see the ridiculousness I am about to post the 'kook' will make total sense.]

Because I am home alone this week, I have to entertain myself. The best way to do this? Cook dinner and pretend you have a show on the Food Network. I made my Easy Peasy Delicious Chicken Cutlets.

Please, follow along while I pretend I know how to cook!

Hello! Welcome to Kooking with Katrina!! Today we'll be making chicken! Because chicken and pasta are the only two things I cook!!

First, you need to pre-heat the oven to 350*. My mother cooks everything at 350 regardless of what it is or what the recipe says. So I guess I got this from her. Plus, most ovens default to this temp when you turn them on, so it's easy. If you have an oven like mine, you'll want to turn it on approximately 30 minutes before you want to cook. Yes, I timed it. Yes, the oven sucks.





Note the breadcrumbs on my fingers. Please ignore them.

Next gather your ingredients. First get your chicken breast out and wash it and pat dry. Then get your dry mix ready.

This is just breadcrumbs and grated cheese mixed together. I prefer to use Panko breadcrumbs or homemade ones, but I didn't have any on hand. This was a "Weee! No food in the kitchen!" kind of dinner.


Then get your dredging solution together.







This is two eggs, juice from one lemon wedge (add more if you want, whatever. I just didn't want to use all my lemon. Oh and cornstarch! That's the key. It makes the mix nice and thick. But only use like, one teaspoon. And measure it. Because I didn't, I poured it from the box and had to scoop the chunks out, hence the mess. DON'T DO THAT.




Next, dunk your chicken in the egg mixture. Get it all nice and covered in gooey egg. Yum!


Then drag it through the breadcrumbs and get it all nice and covered.




Then lay them on a wire rack on a cookie sheet to rest. I used the sheets that came with the toaster oven. Perfect!

Put them in the fridge. Or don't. I don't remember what the rule is for this, but I felt funny leaving raw chicken out. But if you let them sit for say, 30 minutes (the amount of time it takes to pre-heat my oven!) the breading will set and be extra yummy!


Then, once the oven is preheated, put the chicken on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven. Cook it for about 15 minutes, flip it then cook it for about 15 more. Until it looks crispy enough for ya, basically. While you're at it, make some broccoli for nutrients then make some tater tots because THEY ARE AWESOME.

Once it is done, enjoy!

 Yummmm!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails