Wednesday, April 13, 2011

fool proof food: steak and cheese

This is another new section I am giving a try on the old blog. On occasion, I like to cook. Typically I enjoy things that are simple and not super unhealthy. Very occasionally I'll feel really inspired and knock out a really stellar, complex dish. By "very occasionally" I mean that happened once. But it was amazing. I thought I would share some of those recipes here in case anyone wants to add some simple, yummy meals into their usual repertoire.

Today we have Steak and Cheese. Some of you may way to call it Cheesesteak. You would all be wrong. But feel free to debate that amongst yourselves, since I am firmly in the Steak and Cheese Club.

Ingredients:
Butter
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder
Shaved steak
Mushrooms
One medium onion
American cheese (or really, any old cheese you want)


Step 1: Chop up your onion. I like mine in little strips. Feel free to chop yours however you want. Or even omit it all together! I wouldn't do that though, because the onion makes it extra delicious.

Step 2: Add some olive oil to a large fry pan. About 1-2 tablespoons should do it. Toss a pat of butter in there too. Because olive oil and butter taste delicious together. Turn the heat on to medium.

Step 3: Wait until the pan gets nice and hot and your oil and butter starts to bubble slightly. Toss in those onions.

Step 4: Cook the onions over medium to medium low heat until they get nice and brown. This may take awhile and requires constant vigilance. I am easily distracted and often burn onions, but you really have to cook them slowly and carefully. Remove them from the pan and set aside. I used a slotted spatula so some of the oil would drip off.


Step 5: Put another small pat of butter into your pan.

Step 6: Dump in your nice clean mushrooms. Don't forget to make sure they're nice and dry like I did. That's why mine look so soupy. But they did get nice and tender, which is what we are aiming for.

Step 7: So cook those 'shrooms until they are nicely browned and tender. Remove from pan, using the slotted spatula again and put them in with the onions.


Step 8: Add a little bit more butter to the pan (okay, so this isn't one of my super healthy recipes. Still better than the sub shop!). Toss in your shaved beef and begin to pull it apart using two forks.

Step 9: Cook through, over medium heat. Season it up with salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. Drain off a bit of the grease.

Step 10: Add your cheese. We only had the processed Kraft stuff, but deli American cheese makes this so much better. Let it melt and mix it all up in there. Add more if you're feeling sassy. Or like cheese as much as I do.

Step 11: Mix in your onions and mushrooms. I know that last picture looks completely disgusting, but trust me people. I'm drooling thinking about this sandwich.


Step 12: Place the mix in a roll. Eat. Sigh with delight.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails