Sunday, February 5, 2012

Healthy Sundays: The 70/30 Rule

A couple months ago I was reading a magazine - I can't remember which one, Glamour maybe? - and there was an article about weight loss. It was one of those "These women lost half their weight and you can, too!" type of stories. I was skimming it over, since I don't really care for those type of stories ("I ate nothing but kale and lemon water for four months, it was so easy!") but one women's advice caught my eye.

She said her secret to success was living by the 70/30 rule. 70% of the time she ate well and worked out and overall led a healthy life. The other 30% of the time she indulged a bit - a cupcake here, a day on the couch there. She said it helped keep her balanced and she never felt deprived.

Aside from following the Weight Watchers plan, I've been trying to keep this rule in mind for special occasions. There are times when it would be really difficult for me to be as healthy and conscious as I'd like to be - like last weekend. I would have been a big party pooper and totally depressed if I stayed perfectly within my Weight Watchers boundaries last weekend while I was away. Instead, I said to hell with it and did the best I could. I haven't weighed in this week so I don't know the damage...but I'm not going to stress about it.

It's important to keep a good balance in your life and I think the 70/30 Rule is a good trick to help keep yourself in check.

What do you guys think? Have any tips or tricks for keeping things healthy and balanced in your life?


Related Posts with Thumbnails