Thursday, September 9, 2010

grab that cash with both hands and make a stash



So I am entering into my second week of No Shop September, and I have to say, Week One wasn't as terrible as I thought. Did I want to buy things? You bet. Did I have money? Not a cent. However, I get paid tomorrow. Which means cash in my account. Which means temptation.

I have managed to appease my urge to buy clothing using a few tactics:

1. I am allowing myself to buy Super Mario Galaxy 2 tomorrow, which will then take up a good chunk of my time and keep me from shopping.

2. I have also decided to allow myself to purchase two small posters for my cubicle (it needs a face lift! I spend the majority of my time in here, it should be cute!)



3. I stumbled across Budgets are $exy this morning, and reading financial advice always makes me want to save and be thrifty. I discovered that if I save $800 a month for the next fifteen years and never touch a penny of it I will be a millionaire by age 39. That's insane. Imagine if I saved more than that, and opened a Roth IRA. Even if I did use some of my savings (say, for a house or something) I'd still be able to become a millionaire before retirement age. This is now a new goal: BECOME MILLIONAIRE BY AGE 55. I just arbitrarily chose 55 but that sounds good to me, so we'll go with it.

4. Not gonna lie, I have devised a well-edited list of purchases I plan on making in October. Stay tuned for a visual list.

I can't lie on here (at least not too badly...) so I will confess that I did spend money this month. A decent amount. But it wasn't on clothes, so technically it's in the rules. There was a Groupon for skydiving and I've always wanted to go, so I took the plunge. The deal was for almost 50% off, so it was totally worth it. I think Best Friend Jamie and I are going to hold off until the spring to go, but I couldn't be more excited!

Dramatic representation of what I will look like plummeting from the sky.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails