Monday, October 4, 2010

sleepy hollow

This past Sunday I headed out to Concord, MA with my family to check out Louisa May Alcott's house and stroll around Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. Yes, it's a real place and not just a fictional location from the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Which, I have just learned now that I am reading the Wikipedia page for that story, does not even take place in New England. There is a character in it named Katrina though! Which I did not know and now think is awesome.


This is the front of the Alcott's house. They didn't let you take pictures inside, which was a huge bummer. I love taking pictures of old houses. We took the tour, which was pretty interesting. I do like taking tours of old homes though. It's so interesting to see how people lived during different eras. I also have a small obsession with home design. The house was pretty big; the bedrooms were bigger than mine at home! I was going for kind of a collegiate, author kind of feel with my outfit for the day, trying to keep with the theme a bit. I bundled up like crazy because I thought it was supposed to be cold, but the day was really pleasant.

This building was the Concord School of Philosophy that Louisa's father ran. It was actually one of the first schools for adults. It was also in their backyard. What a short commute to work.

[sweater - old navy/blazer - old navy (so old!)/jeans - F21/boots -  Seychelles/necklace - ae/purse - shop suey]

We had lunch at a cute little market downtown. It was packed. I had some yummy chili and cornbread, but on the way out I spied their pastry display and totally wished I had pastry for lunch! And that is why my diet is going so slowly, haha. 

 
After lunch we walked over to the cemetery. Taking outfit pictures in a cemetery probably isn't good, but oh well. It was a beautiful cemetery. The graves were all super old, and everything was covered in a layer of pine needles. It wasn't a creepy cemetery at all, it was really peaceful and pretty.


We headed over to Author's Ridge, where the Alcott's are buried along with Thoreau, Emerson and Hawthorne. 



There were all these signs directing us to the grave of Daniel Chester French and we had no idea who he was. So we found his grave, and saw that people had placed pennies all over it, so we were really curious. Luckily, there's an app for that and I looked him up on Wikipedia. Turns out he was the sculptor who made the Lincoln Monument! Hence the pennies. So we put some pennies on his grave too.
It was a nice day to spend with the fam. That's my mom hamming it up in front of the Alcott house, and my brother next to her down on the bottom and Grammy and Grampy in front! Hi guys!
Obviously I had to take a picture of the shoe sign (far left). I had another fall outing lined up for next weekend, but I don't know if it's going to happen now, which is a big bummer.  I've been saving my outfit! I guess we'll see.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails